Thursday, October 4, 2012

A Turkey For Thanksgiving

Today I read one of my favourite Thanksgiving stories to my students - A Turkey For Thanksgiving by Eve Bunting.

Two moose (husband and wife) are preparing their table for Thanksgiving dinner. They have all the places ready for all the animals to join them (rabbit, goat, sheep, etc). The only thing missing is .... you guessed it -  the turkey!  Mrs. Moose is extremely sad that they will not have a turkey, so her husband sets off to find one. Along the way he picks up all the animals that are going to join them for dinner and they attempt to find the turkey they want. They finally find one and the turkey takes off running in the other direction. Mr. Moose grabs him and takes him back in preparation to make Thanksgiving dinner complete. When they all get back, Mr.turkey is shocked to see an extra chair for him to sit in. He realizes that they weren't going to eat him, they wanted him to join them as a guest and he is very thankful for that.

After reading the story, the students were given a set of sentence strips. They placed the sentence strips in the correct sequence to practise retelling the story. Once they were done, the students read the sentence strips and "story" back to me.

On another note, thank you to everyone for getting their field trip permission slips in to me. I appreciate it. Have a nice evening.
 
-Mrs. Singh



2 comments:

  1. Story sequencing and regular blog posts... You are my hero Mrs. Singh! I guess it's time for me to get my blog going so that Div.5 can follow you guys and share what we are doing, too! Well done! :)
    <3 Mrs. Tarnowski

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Can't wait to tell the class we had our first comment.

      Delete